Looking to gain some work experience whilst on your end of year break?
Then look no further as our Canberra team is seeking a vibrant and driven university student to join on a casual work experience basis starting at the end of November 2022 for a 3 month period. This is an excellent opportunity for a second or third-year student to work in a flexible work / study opportunity while gaining paid industry experience at the same time
You will receive an education that stretches beyond the classroom, and you will work with people at the top of their field and engage in a wide variety of projects. Some of the practical geotechnical activities in the field include (but are not limited to):
- Undertake site investigation: compile an engineering log of the subsurface soil / rock in accordance with AS 1726:2017, development of a geotechnical model to characterise the site;
- Organise and supervise field investigation works and manage a variety of subcontractors (such as drilling rigs, CPT rigs, service locators, etc) to complete the work within allotted timeframes and budgets;
- Adhere to relevant Work Health and Safety requirements;
- Use QGIS, Slope W, Circly and Plaxis software etc, to analysis projects and determine solutions;
- Prepare proposals by scoping investigations to target project outcomes and client requirements;
- Engage in technical report writing.
Douglas Partners understands that you may not possess much exposure to this type of work – that is why we are renowned in the industry for training, professional development, guidance and mentoring from some of the industry’s leaders to enhance your career pathway.
To be considered for this role, the successful applicant will:
- Have a keen interest and passion for geotechnical engineering, geology and groundwater;
- Possess excellent written communication skills;
- Be able to communicate honestly and clearly with colleagues and clients;
- Be a passionate learner and adaptable to change;
- Demonstrate a positive ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Competently operate effectively both in a small team environment and independently;
- Enjoy working outdoors and a flexible approach that may include operating onsite and in remote locations;
- Ambition for career progression and to eventually train and mentor others;
- Working towards a Bachelor Degree in Geotechnical or Civil Engineering; and
- Hold a current Australian driver’s licence (manual would be highly regarded).
What's in it for you?
- Income stream during University Career;
- Great opportunity to start your new career;
- On the job learning especially for those interested in a career involving geotechnical / environmental / groundwater and earthworks in the civil field;
- Opportunity for additional work during Uni holiday periods;
- Flexibility around semester workload (student to nominate at least two full days of availability for work);
- Work / Industry experience;
If you believe you have the ‘right stuff’ to thrive in this role, then please fill out your details below. With your application please provide the following:
- A brief cover letter;
- A resume and any work experience references; and
- A copy of university transcript.