Douglas Partners’ Newcastle office is seeking a vibrant and driven Graduate Geotechnical Engineer or Geotechnical Engineer with minimum one year's experience to join the team. In this role you will complement our consulting group so that projects continue to run efficiently and effectively, thus ultimately maintaining clients’ satisfaction.
As a Graduate Geotechnical Engineer / Geotechnical Engineer, you will:
- Undertake site investigation: compile an engineering log of the subsurface soil / rock in accordance with AS 1726:2017, to allow development of a geotechnical / geological and hydrological model of the site;
- Supervising field investigation works and manage a variety subcontractors (such as drilling rigs, CPT rigs, service locators, etc) to complete the work within allotted timeframes and budgets;
- Visit construction sites to inspect footing excavations, piling works, retaining walls, etc;
- Adhere to relevant Work Health and Safety requirements;
- Use QGIS, Slope W, Circly and Plaxis software etc, to analyse projects and determine solutions;
- Prepare proposals by scoping investigations to target project outcomes and client requirements;
- Write engineering reports: Geotechnical reports need to be tailored to specific site conditions to inform our clients of a representative ground model, highlight potential risks, and provide design opportunities and practical solutions. Report writing skills are developed over many years and Douglas Partners will assist and encourage you during your career, with support from many highly experienced industry leading colleagues.
Douglas Partners understands that you may not possess much exposure to this type of work – that is why we are renowned in the industry for training, professional development, guidance and mentoring from some of the industry’s leaders to enhance your career pathway.
About the Candidate
To be considered for this role, the successful applicant will:
- Have a keen interest and passion for geotechnical engineering, geology and groundwater;
- Possess excellent written communication skills;
- Be able to communicate honestly and clearly with colleagues and clients;
- Be a passionate learner and adaptable to change;
- Demonstrate a positive ‘can-do’ attitude;
- Competently operate effectively both in a small team environment and independently;
- Enjoy working outdoors and a flexible approach that may include operating onsite and in remote locations;
- Ambition for career progression and to eventually train and mentor others;
- Achieved a Bachelor of Engineer (BE) degree or similar; and
- Hold a current Australian driver’s licence (manual).
Advantages and Benefits of Working for Douglas Partners
At Douglas Partners, we are committed to the objective of fostering a safe, supportive and cooperative work environment with efficient systems and diverse staff. Here you can enjoy working for a company that is committed to investing in your future. You will be part of a supportive environment where you will be encouraged to continue your career development to advance your skills and expertise.
Douglas Partners is a strong advocate for Engineers Australia, the national governing body for professional engineers, and provides incentives for obtaining chartered status (CPEng). We also provide attractive benefits for further education. We also value loyalty, and after three years' service, Douglas Partners increases its superannuation contribution to 12%, together with providing increased annual leave entitlement after 5 years’ service.
If you believe you have the ‘right stuff’ to thrive in this role, then please provide the following with your application:
- A brief cover letter;
- A resume and any work experience; references; and
- A copy of university transcript.
This position is available to Australian citizens or permanent residents and for commencement in late June / July 2019.
Please contact Mr Michael Harris (Geotechnical Section Manager) on 0412 574 523 for further information.