Douglas Partners were able to provide exceptional client service and cooperation whilst undertaking environmental and geotechnical services during bulk earthworks, retention and construction of the basement on the new $1.4 billion Queensland Children’s Hospital.
The $1.4 billion Queensland Children’s Hospital (QCH) will be the State’s primary specialist paediatric hospital, located adjacent to the existing Mater Hospital on Stanley Street, South Brisbane. Douglas Partners provided environmental and geotechnical services during bulk earthworks, retention and construction of the basement.
Large volumes of unexpected contamination were encountered and Douglas Partners’ Environmental experts provided innovative spoil management solutions to successfully manage the contaminated soil (asbestos, heavy metals and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) while earthworks and retention activities were underway. As a result, the basement was not delayed by assessment and remediation works. During the assessments of unexpected contamination, Queensland adopted WA guidelines for asbestos and Douglas Partners was able to provide technically up-to-date advice throughout.
Douglas Partners’ contributions to this large public health project for Queensland Health included:
- Site contamination investigations and remediation under tight timeframes;
- Diligent decision making in relation to contamination;
- Soil / water sampling and testing to characterise and validate;
- Air quality monitoring as required to measure effectiveness of preventive measures;
- DERM Disposal Permit applications and efficient liaison with DERM;
- Preparation of site contamination investigation, remediation and validation reports; and
- Continuing advice on contamination works required prior to final amalgamation of allotments for the new hospital site to prevent unnecessary listing on DERM’s EMR.
In addition to outstanding environmental and geotechnical services, Douglas Partners provided exceptional client service and cooperation to meet site supervision requirements, trouble-shoot unexpected problems and ensure a timely best for-project delivery.